to your Favourites...
A delicious and light purée that allows the full flavour of the pumpkin to dominate. A good accompaniment to fish or seafood, especially scallops.
- 500g pumpkin
- 15g unsalted butter
- 50ml water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of double cream
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes + 30 minutes straining
- Peel and de-seed the pumpkin and chop into roughly 2cm cubes.
- Put the pumpkin into a heavy bottomed saucepan with the butter, water and salt.
- Cook the pumpkin with the lid on over a medium heat until it is very soft (about 20 minutes).
- Put the contents of the pan into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Put the purée into a sieve lined with a piece of kitchen paper or muslin and allow it to sit for 30 minutes to remove some of the excess liquid.
- Heat the purée back up and fold in the cream.
- This can also be done with butternut squash, but it needs to be cooked for 5 minutes longer at the beginning.