to your Favourites...
Sweet parsnips roasted with thyme and honey creates a sensation not normally associated with vegetables.
- 400g parsnips (4)
- 1 small bunch of thyme
- 30g unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 30g honey
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 200°c.
- Peel, top, tail and chop the parsnips into nice large quarters.
- Bring a pan of salted water up to the boil then, when boiling, carefully tip the parsnips into the water and cook them for 5 minutes.
- Drain off the parsnips and place them onto a clean tea towel to dry.
- In a large frying pan over a medium heat, place the butter and oil and heat them up so the butter is foaming.
- Place the parsnips into the frying pan and cook them for about 10 minutes, until the parsnips are golden brown all over.
- Tip the entire contents of the frying pan into a roasting tin, add the thyme, drizzle the honey over them, season with salt & pepper and place it into the oven for 10 minutes.
- Keep the parsnip pieces quite large because they have a tendency to shrink when roasted which can lead to them burning in the oven, resulting in a chewy texture.