to your Favourites...
This is an interesting way of cooking chicory that takes the bitter edge off it and goes especially well with fish or roasted meats.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Cut the chicory in half lengthways, peel and slice the shallot, peel and finely chop the garlic.
- Put all the ingredients into a saucepan, putting the stock in last, then season with salt & pepper.
- Bring the stock up to the boil, turn down the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicory from the pan and serve.
Can it be frozen? No.
Can it be prepared in advance? Yes, to stage 4 up to 1 day in advance (reheat it with a small amount of stock in a pan or in the oven).
Will leftovers be nice? Yes, for up to 1 day.
- You can make a sauce by reducing the cooking liquor by half and adding 100ml of double cream.