to your Favourites...
A simple and versatile method for making a vegetable stock that can be used in a wide variety of dishes.
- 200g carrot (3)
- 150g onion (2)
- 300g leek (2)
- 100g celery (2 sticks)
- 100g mushroom (4)
- 3 peeled cloves of garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small bunch of parsley
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 teaspoon of peppercorns
- 3 litres water
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours
Serves: convo("2 litres"); ?> of stock
- Peel the onion and carrot and chop them with the celery into 3cm pieces.
- Remove the root and the green of the leek and chop it into 3cm pieces. Chop the mushrooms into quarters.
- Put all the ingredients in a large pot with the water and bring it to the boil.
- When it starts to boil, turn it down to a low heat and simmer gently for 2 hours.
- Using a fine sieve, strain the liquid into a bowl, discarding all the vegetables and herbs.
- Allow the stock to cool naturally and use as required.
- When simmering the stock, make sure the heat is very low, there should be hardly any bubbles breaking the surface. Boiling the stock will result in it becoming bitter and cloudy.