to your Favourites...
Made almost entirely of raw vegetables, this classic Spanish soup is served chilled and can provide a wonderfully refreshing and light meal on a hot day.
- 300g cucumber (½)
- 340g large plum tomatoes (4)
- 50g spring onions (3)
- 250g deseeded red bell peppers (2)
- 10g bunch of parsley
- Small bunch of mint
- 3 sprigs of basil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 5g piece of ginger (about a thumbnail sized piece)
- 1 tablespoon of tomato purée
- Juice of half a lemon
- A few drops of Tobasco sauce
- 2 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- For the garnish:
- 70g cucumber (5cm length piece)
- 60g red bell pepper (&frac
Preparation Time: 20 minutes + 1 hour chilling
Cooking Time: N/A
- Put all the ingredients into a liquidizer and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a sieve and push the contents through into a bowl.
- Put the bowl into a freezer for at least one hour (the soup should be very cold). Then season the soup heavily with salt & pepper.
- For the garnish, cut the cucumber in half lengthways, scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon and finely dice the flesh. Deseed the red pepper and finely dice it.
- Ladel the soup into bowls and sprinkle over a mixture of the red pepper and cucumber and, optionally, a sprig of basil.
- This soup needs quite a large amount of seasoning because serving the soup so cold diminishes its flavour and the seasoning is needed to bring back the taste of the vegetables (the same is true of the sugar content in ice-cream).
- A nice addition to the garnish is croutons (small cubes of bread lightly fried in butter) and a sprinkling of grated parmesan cheese.