to your Favourites...
This is a chunky, heart-warming soup that makes a perfect lunch or light dinner.
- 70g shallot (2) or onion (½)
- 100g carrot (2)
- 100g leek (1)
- 100g celery (2 sticks)
- 60g broccoli (1 small head)
- 200g potato (2)
- 250g shredded cooked chicken (such as roast or poached chicken)
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- Peel and dice the shallot (or onion), carrot, leek, celery, broccoli and potato.
- Heat the oil over a medium heat in a large saucepan, then add the shallot (or onion), carrot, leek and celery.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, until the onion and leek has become soft and translucent.
- Add the potato and the stock and simmer it for 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and cook it for a further 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken, season the soup with salt & pepper and then ladle it into bowls. We garnished it with some finely chopped parsley.
- This recipe makes a chunky chicken soup. To make a smooth soup, simply put the soup into a liquidizer after stage 5 and add more stock (or water) until it reaches your desired consistency.
- You can put any vegetables you like (or have) into this soup, provided they are cut into similarly sized pieces. As a rule of thumb, harder vegetables should go in at stage 4 and softer vegetables should go in at stage 5.
- This recipe is exactly the same as the recipe for vegetable soup but with chicken.