to your Favourites...
This rich, dark onion gravy goes extremely well with all manner of dishes but especially with sausage and mash.
- 240g onion, preferably a red onion (2)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 teaspoons of seedless raspberry jam
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon of thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 500ml beef stock
- 125ml red wine
- 2 tablespoons of masala, armagnac or dry sherry (optional)
- 15g unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon of oil
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Serves: 2 - 3
- Peel and dice the onion. Peel and finely chop and garlic.
- In a frying pan, heat the oil and butter over a medium heat and cook the onion until it has completely softened and is beginning to turn brown.
- Add the garlic and thyme and fry for a further 1 minute.
- Add the masala, armagnac or sherry and the bay leaf, stir it in and then mix in the red wine, mustard and seedless raspberry jam.
- Reduce the wine until it has reached a syrupy consistency, then add the beef stock and season with salt & pepper.
- Simmer until it has reduced by half.
- Taste the gravy, adjust the seasoning if necessary, remove the bay leaf and serve.
- If you can't get seedless jam, you can use normal jam but push it through a sieve first to remove the seeds.