to your Favourites...
This delicious sauce, some might say the king of all sauces, is exceptionally versatile and works very well with virtually anything, even other sauces.
- 2 fresh egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 150ml vegetable oil (or sunflower oil)
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: N/A
Serves: 2 - 10 (makes about )
- In the bowl of a food processor, place the egg yolks, vinegar, mustard and salt.
- Blend it for 2 minutes (it will become much paler in colour).
- Put the oil into a pouring jug.
- Turn on the food processor again and, while it is running, pour in all the oil in a slow, steady stream. The mixture will slowly turn white as the oil and egg yolks are emulsified.
- Allow the food processor to run for 1 minute before adding the lemon juice while the food processor is running. Then, after 30 seconds, turn off the machine.
- Use as required.
- Because it is made with unpasteurised, raw egg yolks, it should not be consumed by pregnant women, very young children or the elderly.
- If you do not have a food processor, the mayonnaise can be made by hand in a bowl using a whisk and 500g of elbow-grease.
- Do not be tempted to use olive oil because it will taste bitter.
- Mayonnaise is also the base for tartar sauce.