to your Favourites...
This is our method for roasting a chicken with a twist (quite literally) that is almost guaranteed to produce soft, moist flesh with a crispy skin.
- 1 × 2kg chicken
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour (+ 15 minutes resting time)
Serves: 3 - 4 (depending on chicken size)
- Preheat the oven to 180°c.
- Place the chicken into a roasting dish, rub with the olive oil and season it all over with salt & pepper. Optionally, you can push thin slices of cold butter under the skin which helps the meat retain its moisture.
- Position the chicken breast side down in the tin and put in the oven on the middle shelf.
- After 30 minutes, turn the chicken over so it is breast side up and cook it for a further 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and allow it to rest for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a chopping board, carve it and serve. We served it with roast potatoes, glazed carrots and a spinach purée.
- If you have a chicken of a different weight to ours (2kg), the cooking time is 30 minutes per 1kg. Turn the chicken over halfway of the way through the cooking time. If the cooking time is over 2 hours, put a piece of tin-foil over the chicken three-quarters of the way through cooking.