to your Favourites...
This is a simple recipe for Dauphinoise potato, a classic dish of sliced potato, garlic and cream.
- 550g floury potatoes (3)
- a clove of garlic
- sprig of rosemary (optional)
- sprig of thyme (optional)
- 150ml milk
- 150ml double cream
- 15g unsalted butter
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Serves: 3 - 4
- Preheat oven to 200°c.
- Finely chop the garlic and thinly slice the potatoes (the skin can be left on or peeled off).
- Put the cream, milk, garlic, rosemary and thyme in a saucepan. Season with salt & pepper, bring to the boil and then remove from the heat.
- Rub the inside of a oven-proof dish with butter and place a layer of potato in the bottom of the dish. Lightly season the layer with salt & pepper and continue to layer and season until the dish is full. Then pour the milk mixture over the potatoes.
- Put the dish into the oven for 40 minutes.
- Check the potato is cooked by sticking a knife into the middle, the potato should be soft and offer no resistance.
- Cut out portions and serve.
- A nice addition is to sweat off a thinly sliced onion and include it in the layering during stage 4.