Spiced Cube of Lamb
Spiced Cube of Lamb
to your Favourites...
This “Moroccan style” dish uses a dry spice rub that perfumes the meat, making a nice alternative to all the usual ways of cooking lamb. The lamb can be roasted in the oven but it works really well when cooked on the BBQ.
- 1.5kg boned out leg of lamb / half a leg of lamb - bone removed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon green cardamon pods - crushed and husks removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 6 minutes
- Remove the bone from the leg of lamb (or get your butcher to do this for you).
- Cut out roughly 180g portions of lamb (they should be about 7cm × 7cm cubes) from the thickest parts of the leg.
- Crush the cardamon pods in a pestle and mortor, remove the husks (the outer pod) and crush the seeds. Put the crushed cardomon into a bowl with the rest of the spices and mix them together. Then add the oil and mix it into a paste.
- Rub the lamb cubes all over with the spice paste, bearing in mind that a little goes a long way. Then, ideally, put the lamb cubes into a container and put them into the fridge for 12-48 hours to allow the flavours to develop and sink into the meat (of course, the lamb can be cooked straight away but it won’t have the same depth of flavour).
- Remove the lamb from the fridge 1 hour before you are going to cook it (to allow it to come up to room temperature).
- Preheat the oven to 200°c or fire up your BBQ!
- Put the lamb cubes into a roasting tin and then put them into the oven for:
5 minutes for rare
10 minutes for medium-rare
15 minutes for medium
20 minutes for medium-well
30 minutes for well-done
- Remove the lamb from the oven and allow it to rest for 15 minutes before serving. We served it with couscous salad and a tzatziki.
- Any spice mix can be used to rub into the lamb, from your own secret family blend, to whatever you have in the cupboard, to a shop-bought pre-made spice mix.