to your Favourites...
This is a highly versatile dessert sauce, ideal for hearty puddings such as crumble or pies.
- 2 egg yolks
- 290ml milk
- 2 teaspoons corn flour
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or essence (optional but highly recommended)
- 100ml double cream
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Serves: 4 - 5
- Into a bowl, place the egg yolks, sugar and corn flour.
- Mix them to a smooth paste.
- Heat the milk in a pan so it begins to boil, then pour the milk into the bowl with the egg mixture and whisk it until it is completely incorporated.
- Pour this into a clean pan to avoid getting any lumps, place it over a medium heat and bring it to a gentle boil, stirring all the time with a whisk. Cook it for about 5 minutes until it has become thick.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in the cream and vanilla extract or essence.
- Pour the custard into a serving jug and serve.
- If you find that there are lumps in the custard after making it, you can simply push it through a sieve to remove them.