to your Favourites...
This shortbread is a wonderful thing. It has a crunchy texture that melts in the mouth, it is almost too easy to make and, with its rich buttery taste, one piece is never enough.
- 180g plain flour
- 120g unsalted butter
- 2g salt
- 60g caster sugar
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 12 – 24 pieces
- Heat the oven to 170°c.
- Weigh out all of the ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Using the ends of your fingers, rub the butter into the other ingredients until it becomes like breadcrumbs. Alternatively, put all the ingredients into a food processor and blend them until they resemble breadcrumbs.
- Then press the crumbed mixture together to form a ball of dough.
- Roll out the dough into a square or rectangle, roughly 1½cm thick. Then put it onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.
- Put the baking tray into the oven and bake it for 25 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and immediately cut the shortbread into pieces before it has time to cool and harden. Then sprinkle it with a generous amount of caster sugar and allow it to cool.
- You could try adding lemon zest or vanilla seeds to the dough during stage 3.