Lemon Drizzle Cake
Lemon Drizzle Cake
to your Favourites...
This cake is tangy and wonderfully moist, it gets better with age and after about a week it is at its best. They make great gifts for people and visitors can never resist the lemony charms of the drizzle cake.
- 100g unsalted butter
- 250g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 100ml milk
- 250g self-raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- zest of 3 lemons
- For the drizzle:
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 100ml water
- 170g caster sugar
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
Serves: 10 - 15
- Heat oven to 180°c.
- Put the eggs, milk and sugar into a large mixing bowl.
- Thoroughly whisk them together until the mixture becomes well mixed and foamy.
- Sift in the flour, salt and baking powder and then stir it into the liquid mixture until there are no lumps left.
- Stir in the lemon zest. Then heat the butter (either on the hob or in the microwave) until it has completely melted, then pour it in to the batter and stir until it is completely incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into a greased loaf tin, lined with greaseproof paper.
- Put the tin into the oven and bake it for 50 minutes.
- To test if the cake is done, insert a skewer into the middle and if it comes out clean the cake is ready. When it is cooked, remove it from the oven and leave it in its tin.
- To make the drizzle, squeeze the lemon juice through a sieve into a heat-proof pouring jug.
- Put the water and sugar into a pan over a medium heat. Bring the mixture up to the boil and boil it for 4 minutes.
- Pour the sugar mixture into the jug with the lemon juice and mix them together.
- Pour as much of the lemon drizzle mixture onto the cake as you can and leave the cake to absorb for 20 minutes. If the cake becomes reluctant to absorb any more liquid, stop pouring.
- Carefully remove the cake from the tin (there may be some of the drizzle left, unabsorbed in the bottom of the tin), transfer it to a wire rack and allow it to completely cool to room temperature
- When the cake is cold, slice it and serve.
- You could try this cake with orange or lime! Use 2 large oranges or 5 limes.