to your Favourites...
A classic cake celebrating the 12th night of Epiphany for the last feast. Traditionally a bean or coin was placed into the cake and who ever found it in their slice was king or queen for the night. However, these days dental bills are so high that it is not worth running the risk.
- 1kg shop bought puff pastry
- For the almond frangipane filling:
- 125g unsalted butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 125g ground almonds
- 25g flour
- 4 tablespoons Amaretto or Brandy
Preparation Time: 45 minutes (+ 30 minutes chilling)
Cooking Time: 1 hour (+ 1 hour resting time)
- Put the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat them together until they are thoroughly combined and light in colour and texture. Then add the eggs.
- Mix in the eggs until they are thoroughly combined, then put in the flour and almonds.
- Mix the mixture until it is combined, then pour in the Amaretto or brandy and stir that in.
- Put the frangipane between two sheets of cling-film/plastic-wrap and press it into a disk shape, about 2cm thick. Then put it into the freezer for 30 min.
- Preheat the oven to 180°c.
- Roll out half of the puff to a thickness of about 5mm, put a plate on to it and cut out a disk.
- Put the disk of pastry onto the plate, then remove the frangipane from the freezer, take off the cling-film/plastic-wrap and place the frangipane in the middle of the disk of pastry on the plate. Brush the band of exposed pastry with some cold water.
- Roll out the other half of the puff pastry to about 5mm, then put this over the frangipane on the plate, smooth it down, press the two disks of pastry together at the edge and then cut off the excess pastry around the edge of the plate.
- Transfer the whole thing to a lined baking tray and seal the pastry together by crimping it using a butter knife and your fingers.
- Brush the top with milk and, very lightly, cut a pattern into the surface of the pastry (don’t go all the way through). Then put the cake into the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove the epiphany cake from the oven and allow it to rest for 1 hour before serving.